The high-speed restaurant openings, chef moves and milestones in San Diego are enough to get anyone tongue-tied. Here are seven small scoops for you to keep it all straight.
1. Single Fin opening in Mission Beach: It’s been some time since Sneak Joint shuttered in Mission Beach, but renovations for a new restaurant are finally coming together. Single Fin Surf Grill is slated to open this month, embracing true San Diego surf motifs with modern aesthetics. Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served; a menu has yet to be released, but we’re crossing fingers for fish tacos done right. 3844 Mission Blvd., Mission Beach. singlefinsd.com
2. Tidal opening at Paradise Point: The closing of Paradise Point’s Baleen brought a chance for celebrated chef Amy DiBiase to open Tidal, a seafood-focused, waterfront dining experience. Scheduled to start service on April 10, Tidal will offer guests French and Italian-influenced seafood dishes with a 180-degree view of Mission Bay. 1404 Vacation Road, Mission Bay. paradisepoint.com
3. Draft opening at Belmont Park: The newest addition to Belmont Park’s sun-soaked attractions is a beer-anchored restaurant, appropriately named Draft. Set to arrive late spring, Draft will feature over 60 taps and 80 bottles with a menu created by Belmont Park Executive Chef Brad Wise. The space itself is being designed by Mauricio Couturier, whose imaginative work is constantly Instagrammed at Bang Bang and El Camino. 3105 Ocean Front Walk, Mission Beach. Read more here
4. OB Warehouse opening in Ocean Beach: Cohn Restaurant Group welcomes OB Warehouse to the family, a massive 6,000 square-foot space rumored to open this month. Under designer Philippe Beltran’s guidance, OB Warehouse will bring industrial, vintage vibes to the beach along with an extensive beer selection and bar food to match. 4839 Newport Ave., Ocean Beach. cohnrestaurants.com
5. Allure Restaurant open downtown: Melissa Magallon, a former sous chef under Brian Malarkey at Searsucker, Herringbone La Jolla and Burlap Del Mar, has now opened her own project with a wide menu that spans everything from seared tuna to start, a lamb shank entrée and a cheesecake parfait on the dessert menu. The space was once occupied by Bandar Restaurant and includes a sidewalk patio. 825 Fourth Ave., downtown. allurerestaurantsd.com
6. Slater’s 50/50 opens second location: San Diego’s favorite place to overindulge in a juicy burger will open a second location in San Marcos on April 14. North County can now enjoy the massive burgers, over-the-top appetizers, salads, sandwiches and a healthy showcase of local craft beer. 110 Knoll Rd., San Marcos. Slaters5050.com
7. New Executive Chef at Davanti Enoteca Del Mar: Moving on up, former sous chef of Davanti Enoteca Del Mar Michael Nogera has been named Executive Chef one year after his start. He's now tasked with creating a spring menu to showcase his talents. 12955 El Camino Real, Del Mar. davantidelmar.com